Monday, June 8, 2015

Updates!

HELLO!

For some reason, I thought I hadn't written on here in a while, but it's only been 3 weeks. It's not THAT long, considering I've gone for several months without writing on here.

First of all, I want to let you know that I have now finished the science after school program at the schools that I worked at. It was overall a great program, and although we didn't get a chance for every school to finish a project, it was great to be able to work with a bunch of students at the different schools. As one of the last field trips we went on, SAIL Buffalo allowed the kids to sail on some sail boats, go on a pontoon boat, and work on some gardening. The kids seemed to enjoy it, moreso because it allowed them to go on the water. However, I'm sure they would've enjoyed it more if they were able to swim. But since we were on the waters that go into Lake Erie, the water was VERY cold, and so not a good idea to go in the water.

Other than that, the free Thursday concerts at Canalside have begun, with Matt and Kim being the first outdoor concert for the 2015 summer season. It was pretty cool to see them, although the crowd was extremely rowdy and were pushing people towards the stage in such a way that it was scary. I'm pretty sure it's not usually like that, but because Matt and Kim are so popular, and there were hundreds of people there, it just got out of hand.

FYI Matt -- Please don't tell people to take steps closer to the stage when they're already squeezed together and are unable to breathe. Just saying. It was real scary in the front.

This past weekend, I ran two 5k runs. The first was Color Me Rad, a colorful fun run at Darien Lake Amusement Park. I ran it with my two housemates and another friend. It was nice to get bombarded with color while running. Also, we were able to go on a bunch of amusement park rides afterwards, and it was AMAZING to go on roller coasters after a long time of not being in one. I forgot how boring it is though to stand in line waiting for rides. I think my favorite was the Ride of Steel (Superman) Rollercoaster ride, mainly because it was extremely fast! It was awesome!

The other 5k I ran was with Girls on the Run. It was a run to donate money to the Girls on the Run program in local schools. I saw a bunch of students that I've interacted with there, and it was nice to be able to run a timed 5k. I was trying to beat a personal time of 35 min, and I ended up beating it by 5 seconds, which was very nice!!

This week is a pretty busy week too, as I'm trying to finish up getting some science camp stuff done before I head home to Michigan for several days. I'm excited for summer camp though, and excited to teach some of the stuff I've been planning. Summer camp training is less than 2 weeks away, and summer camp officially starts in 3 weeks! AHHHHHH!

No comments:

Post a Comment