Sunday, February 22, 2015

February Break!

So I've just returned to Buffalo after spending the week back in Michigan. It was a nice visit, and I ended up doing a lot more than I expected and seeing more as well, which was really nice.

First off, the bus ride from Buffalo to Detroit was pretty intense. There was a snowstorm from Buffalo to Toledo, and so the bus was going maybe 30 mph instead of the normal 65. Also, there was a couple (I am pretty sure they were Somalian) with a baby on the bus, and they didn't know any English. They were trying to get to Chicago, and when the bus made a stop in Ohio someplace, the man got out to ask whether they were in Chicago. The driver got upset and sternly said "This isn't Chicago, Get back on the bus!" I felt bad for the couple. They didn't know English and were going to a place they probably had never been to.

So I used my handy dandy space phone. I used google translator (how handy!) and wrote down what I knew of the trip and when I predicted they were to arrive in Chicago. Thankfully, the guy was able to read Arabic. I don't know how else I could have explained what was going on. It made me feel better that I knew they understood (at least somewhat) what to expect from their travels.

Anyways, I got to my parents house with no problems other than bus delays, I saw family all day the next day, and ate some really good Middle Eastern Cuisine. YUM! 

I saw my friend Kim (who I worked at the Battle Creek OEC with) the day after that. We met up in Ann Arbor, and it was a lot of fun! We went ice skating, then at lunch at Dimo's -- which is a really great diner and everyone going to Ann Arbor should check that place out. The owner of Dimo's is really personal with his customers, and SUPER funny. After eating lunch at Dimo's, Kim and I went sledding at a golf course area. Those hills were INTENSE, let me tell you. There were good sized hills there, and the hills were pretty icy and had packed snow, which made for a pretty crazy ride down. It was nice.

I also saw my friend Ana another day, and it was great to catch up with her. She is a great longtime friend of mine. We've known each other since 10th grade -- which is a long time! I'm glad I still keep in contact with her. Hopefully she'll be able to visit me here in Buffalo.

Other than that, I ran some errands while I was at home, and played some trivia with my dad. It was a nice relaxing time at home, and I hope that my next visit to Michigan is as good as that.

Now I'm off to get paperwork ready for the coming week, and to figure out what exactly I'll be doing. I have this feeling this week is going to be a bit CRAZY, so looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment